In competitive, rapidly evolving business environments, relying on decade-old COBOL programs make it impossible and extremely risky for organizations to respond to dynamic market conditions. Surya Software has an effective system in terms of Future-Proofing your COBOL Assets.
Reverse Engineering: Document What Exists
Reverse Engineering documents existing legacy systems, data and processes. These documents immediately reduce the risk and cost of maintaining the legacy systems and form the basis for the modernization and migration plan.
- Inventory: Catalog all relevant data stores, file descriptions, programs and associated documentation in a single repository.
- Prioritize: From the inventory above, create an initial prioritization based on the perceived business value of modernizing each system.
- Analyze and retrofit data model: Data and File structures are an important source of insight into the underlying system logic.
- Analyze and document code
- Develop the full migration roadmap
Migration Strategy: Link Present and Future
Migration Strategy defines the future state and migration priorities. It also establishes the target platforms and data bridge design. Business value and risk are key inputs to this process, in addition to technical factors driving the selection of target platforms. These discussions drive greater clarity around business and technical decision making, regardless of the implementation path.
- ESTABLISH TARGET PLATFORM(S)
- DEFINE MIGRATION STRATEGY
- DESIGN DATA BRIDGE
- PROTOTYPE DATA BRIDGE COMPONENTS
Forward Engineering: Rebuild for the future
Forward Engineering delivers the modernized system. It is designed to be implemented in cycles, allowing immediate value capture on the completion of each migration cycles. It is also designed to reduce migration risk, facilitating “go dead” rollover to the new system, or rollback in the event of significant issues.
- CREATE DEVOPS ENVIRONMENT
- REFINE AND INSTALL DATA BRIDGE COMPONENTS
- CREATE MODERNIZED SYSTEMS
- ON USER COMFORT, “GO DEAD”